Its a busy time trying to intern everyday...but oh soo much to talk about today.
THE HOT LIST:
1. Husker Basketball: Eyes on KU
2. Pete Carroll bolts for the NFL
3. Around the Big 12: Wednesday Games
1. This begins a craziness for Husker Basketball fans....KU comes to town. For those of you who had the pleasure of being a die-hard crazy Red Zone fan like I was back in the day know all too well the preparation and motivation that just the fans put into this game. Theres no question that the atmosphere is a lil bit rowdier when KU comes to town. Kansas comes into Lincoln after getting upset by #15 Tennessee. The only thing Nebraska can take from that game is that Kansas isn't this unbeatable team that looked like it was untouchable early in the season. Doc Sadler can't be feeling to confident in his team after they fell apart late in the second half against Texas A&M. Nebraska did have its stingy defense in place but failed to stop A&M from driving to the basket and drawing fouls. I don't like that as Kansas brings one of the top point guards in the country in Sherron Collins. His ability to create his own shot and drive to the hole could spell trouble for the Huskers as generally home court advantage doesn't mean anything to the officials. Nebraska simply has to milk the clock and take high percentage shots that keep Kansas from opening up its transition game. BYU exposed Nebraska's young talent by getting out and running by Nebraska to build up a lead that the Huskers simply couldn't come back from. Nebraska must eliminate easy baskets for KU and attempt to match up with Cole Aldrich in the paint. Nebraska finally can match up in height with Christian Stanhardinger and Brian Diaz. Those guys must step up big and defend well or else it'll spell doom for Nebraska. I expect KU to win this game as I feel Nebraska simply is a little too young to hang in this game....I expect it to be close (as I'll be in attendance) but ultimately won't lead to a win.
2. Shocking news came out early on Sunday night in Pete Carroll deciding to take his coaching status somewhere else. He decided to take control of a team in the NFL again and en-light of the problems that USC faces in both football and basketball by the NCAA infractions committee. It appears Pete is bolting to save his job and his coaching reputation. Look there's no question about how he was able to take a .500 USC team to the brink of playing for the National title in just one season...he cheated. I think there's a lot more under the table the USC was willing to conceal and hide. As a private university, USC maintains it right to protect its documents and doesn't have to release them public. I think for their sake thats a better idea because clearly there are some major issues going on at that school that are being let on. I think that Pete Carroll created his own monster at USC that clearly he wasn't ready to tangle. He cheated his way into building a college football powerhouse where his famous star fan base became accustomed to winning every single game every year. Look Nebraska did it as well...in the early 90's they created a winning attitude that spread throughout the fan base that not winning national championships was unacceptable. Nebraska rationally fired its head coach in 2003 after going on a 6 year title dry spell. That firing has now lead to 6 more years of hard times. In 12 years Nebraska's fan base has become more noble to winning games....no longer are fans crying out for titles every season...USC is now going to start experiencing this sequence of events. Theres really no way it can stop.
Think about this...if USC was the #1 job in the entire country...why can't USC go into any program it wants and hire anyone. The fact is they can't and with their upcoming penalities likely coming...possibly vacating wins and a national title...and a fan base that has become clouded on what a successful season is every year...USC appears to be a snake-pit full of venomous snakes waiting to destroy its next coach. Whoever they hire likely gets fired in 3-5 season like Nebraska did if that coach can't produce a national title and birth's in the Rose Bowl...that'll leave USC hunting for another big name coach again in 5 seasons...where likely Pete Carroll may have worn out his welcome at Seattle and once again listening to offers about being the head coach at USC...again.
3. The Big 12 continues tomorrow with more conference games. It wasn't a bad start for me going 4-2 with Kansas and Tech being my only losses. Not many games tomorrow as OU and OSU tangled on Big Monday last night.
Baylor @ Colorado
Texas A&M @ Kansas State
Kansas @ Nebraska
Texas @ Iowa State
Missouri @ Texas Tech
Some decent games for the midweek...I feel Nebraska/KU might be the biggest game on the slate tomorrow....I'll be watching A&M and K-State tonight to see if A&M can continue its winning ways. Maybe I can go undefeated and boost my record up a bit after tomorrow.
The Picks: Baylor, K-State, KU, Texas, Misery
Saturdays Record: 4-2
Overall Record: 4-2
Coming back on Thursday as I'm going to the Husker Game tomorrow night....Till Then :)