On another cold day in Nebraska, I've returned to talk about a few things like we do every Wednesday....
THE HOT LIST:
1. All-Big 12 Team
2. Bowden Retires...what's Joe Paterno's Time Table?
3. Husker Volleyball
4. Husker Baseketball
1. We begin with the announcement of four Huskers on the coaches All-Big 12 team. As expected Suh was a unanimous selection and was named Big 12 defensive player of the year. He also took defensive lineman of the year award as well. Jared Crick, Larry Asante, and Prince Amukamara were named to the first team. These guys have been to cornerstone on what has become one of the better defensive teams to every put on the scarlet and cream at this university. Suh is just beginning what I expect to be a very busy postseason for him as he is in line to win 4 of the major lineman and defensive awards this year. He'll arguably go down as one of the best defensive players that anyone has ever seen in the country. It was great to see guys like Crick, Asante, and Prince make the team as well. It's a testament of what this coaching staff has done with the talent that this university had during the Bill Callahan era. Bo and his staff have clearly gotten the potential out of these guys. Its great to see, and I expect Nebraska to have many more players in the All-Big 12 team. Congrats Guys...it was well deserved this year.
2. Bobby Bowden officially announced that his last game will be the upcoming bowl game that leaves just one coach still chugging it out...Joe Paterno. How long do we expect the 80+ year old coach to remain the main guy on the sidelines at Penn State. I think that we'll see Joe coach for about 4-6 more years. He's clearly stated that he isn't ready to call it quits and I expect him to coach into his 50th season. I think that when he hits that milestone he'll officially hang it up marking the end of half a century for one coach. You have to admire how Florida State and Penn State have stuck by these guys for so long, in the current age of "what have you done for me lately" we may never see head coaches lasting for 20+ years. That just shows the evolution of College Football...everyone wants to get titles...but nobody wants to wait for them. Hats off to these guys...I don't like the places they work at but do respect them as a person for what they have accomplished.
3. Husker Volleyball is hot right now...I mean really hot. The Huskers swept every opponent for the month of November, no other Husker Volleyball team every accomplished this feat. Think about how good Nebraska was in 2006...that team never did what they have accomplished. Nebraska hosts the first and second round of the NCAA tournament on Friday. They'll take on Coastal Carolina. It's finally good to see this young team getting it together at the right time. Nebraska arguably is the hottest team heading into the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't want to play them right now. Nebraska can extend its impressive 15 year streak of getting into the third round. No other team in the country has been able to do that. John Cook has instructed his girls to enjoy the tournament...but have fun and play lose. The certainly look like a different team when it was beaten in 5 sets at home by Iowa State in early October. I expect this team to move on to the Omaha regional but will have a battle on its hands if Texas and Iowa State join them...we shall see.
4. We conclude today talking about Nebraska Basketball...it wasn't pretty by any means but Nebraska got a huge 3 point win on the road at USC on Saturday. Nebraska returns home today to play Texas-Pan American. A win tonight and Nebraska would be 5-1 heading into its rivalry showdown with Creighton on Sunday. It was great to see this young team get a win on the road for once. I look at this as a building block that this team needs to be successful this season. Nebraska made timely shots, committed few turnovers, and play stout D against USC...a team that made the NCAA tournament last year. Its still a long season and really this team can't be measured until it gets to conference play...but being a Nebraska Basketball fan...you take any win regardless if the national media thinks it wasn't that big of a win. We'll see if they can win on the road again on Sunday...as history has shown that Nebraska hasn't played well at the Qwest the last 3 times they have been there.
Back tomorrow to wrap up the week....Peace