The week is fastly getting away from us today. I've returned and will really try to get another blog in on Thursday or Friday of this week..
THE HOT LIST:
1. T-Magic is creating Husker Fever....(reflection on the Washington Game)
2. Big 12 Rankings
3. Tid-Bits from this past Saturday
1. As sticking to the usual schedule on the first post of the week we start with T-Magic. For those who still don't know that the team nickname for Taylor Martinez. His magical feet have begun to stir up Husker Fever. Taylor and the Cornhuskers DOMINATED the Huskies last Saturday making a statement win by producing three 100 yard rushers in a game. This is the first time since 2003 when Nebraska played Baylor that we've that kind of accomplishment. The most impressive aspect to take away from the game is how strong our offensive line looked as the game progressed. They simply punched the Husky D right in the mouth thus allowing us to run the ball down their throats time and time again. T-Magic didn't do anything but impressed and he took the opening handoff of the second half and bolted down the sideline for an 80 yard score. He also threw his first TD pass to Mike McNeill in the first quarter after the blackshirts forced a turnover from Jake Locker. It's a game that Locker would like to forget going 4-20 for only 71 yards, 1 TD, and 2 INT's. One of which was housed for a TD that essentially put the game away. It was impressive how quickly Nebraska put that loud crowd of Husky fans silenced after jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead. This win is a HUGE step in the right direction, on Saturday not only were the Husker Nation watching but Nebraska was in the National Media spotlight...their impressive win certainly has people talking that Nebraska might be the best team in the top 10 not getting mentioned in the National title talk. I know there still is a lot of season still left to go, but try to remember the last time the Huskers were getting this much love....yea its been that long....Nebraska can only get better from this point....
The troubling issue I take away from the game was Cody Green. He came into the game in the 2nd quarter, coughed the ball up and gave 7 points to the Huskies. Later towards the end of the game he looked sloppy again nearly losing the ball again on a QB read play. Its concerning because should T-Magic fall to an injury...Cody Green must be ready to take the reins of this offense and produce points which right now looks like that could be a real challenge. So to this point the fate of our season could rest on the healthiness of T-Magic...if he goes down...you better be prepared to put all those lofty expectations of this season to bed...but till then no question he's too exciting to watch on the field...wonder if he'll house another 40+ yard TD run this weekend???
2. We go back to the Big 12 Rankings for this week:
1. Nebraska (3-0) vs. South Dakota State
Nebraska showed its overall team dominace on both sides of the ball last Saturday. Continue to show improvement and it National Title hopes aren't far off of the seasons expectation.
2. Texas (3-0) vs. UCLA
The Longhorns got redemtion beating Tech on the road, but Gilbert didn't look good in the win. Texas is relying too much on its Defense to win games. With Oklahoma and Nebraska looming the offense better get it into high gear and fast.
3. Oklahoma (3-0) @ Cincinnati
The Sooner just can't get jacked up for the little guys on their schedule....the scary thing is those little guys could of beaten the Sooners...twice. Time to see Landry Jones on the road but Cincinnati isn't a great team to measure how good this team really is at this point of the season...Texas looms next weekend.
4. Kansas State (3-0) (1-0) vs. Central Florida
Daniel Thomas is the heart and soul of the Wildcat offense...if he goes down...there goes their season. Defensive improvements are needed if this team wants to compete for the North Division title.
5. Oklahoma State (3-0)
The Cowboys high power offense gets a week off to look at the school record 171 points put up in 3 games this season. Wonder if they can do that against the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska....this team still has major defensive questions it must answer before Big 12 play.
6. Texas Tech (2-1) (0-1)
No magic in Lubbock last Saturday and Texas' defense wore the Red Raiders offense into the ground. Lessons can be learned from this game. Better QB play is a must if this team wants to compete with the Big Dogs of the South.
7. Texas A&M (3-0)
The Aggies cupcakes are done now come OSU next Thursday and Arkansas after that. We'll know how good the Aggies are then...but if your an Aggie fan you have to be worried about how four Johnson INT's almost gave Florida International a huge win @ Kyle Field.
8. Missouri (3-0) vs. Miami of Ohio
Bad News is you had to get a miracle TD late just to beat San Diego State....oh and you lost your best Defensive Lineman for the next 6-8 weeks. Good News is your still unbeaten but barely...wonder how this team will play on defense without their defensive leader...
9. Baylor (2-1) @ Rice
The Bears had a chance to make a statement but they fell flat on their face. It shows this offense is not ready to compete with the big boys just yet. Bad news when you play in the Big 12 South.
10. Kansas (1-2) vs. New Mexico State
Will the real Kansas team please show up...I repeat...will the real Kansas team please show up...Who knows which team will show up on the field at home this week.
11. Colorado (2-1)
The Buffaloes notched a nice win over Hawaii at home last week but that still doesn't hide the beating they got from Cal the previous week. Georgia and Missouri come calling in the next two weeks...better grow up quick or a losing season is imminent.
12. Iowa State (1-2) (0-1) vs. Northern Iowa
The Cyclones have gotten beaten down in back to back weeks. Only a few games on the conference schedule you need to win and last week was one of them. Keep losing and 0-8 is looking like a possibility.
3. Thoughts from Saturday.......
-Urban Meyer is gutsy but knows just when to drive the stake into the heart of their opponents...the fake punt set up a TD that put them ahead by two scores....wonder if he'll be that gutsy against Alabama in two weeks.
-Iowa's title hopes are gone following a 34-27 loss to Arizona on Saturday, but when you play poorly in the special team area..you deserve to lose...Kirk Frenze is losing more hair after his defense gave up the game winning drive after they came back to tie it up...Championship teams don't do that...
-Mark Antonio is one risky guy going for the fake field goal to beat Norte Dame on Saturday....Wonder if he was having pre-heart attack jitters knowing he needed this win to save his job?
-Ohio State and Alabama are really good...it'll take a lot for teams to upset them this season
-OU better learn to stop the run...and fast because these little school teams gashing them for over 300 yards of total offense have given Stoops nightmares this season.
-Arizona State will be seeing that blocked PAT in their dreams for the rest of the season...how many times have I said how important special teams are to winning games....well you saw it here. The Badgers almost lost with theirs but won the game later with it.
-Heartbreaker for Clemson who outplayed Auburn but a missed field goal in overtime ended any hopes of a win. Wonder how crazy Dabo Sweeny will be about making sure his team doesn't get another illegal procedure penalty again (can't fake snap the ball). That was the win Dabo needed to keep the Tiger faithful on his side...oops.
-Oregon State barely squeaked by Louisville on Saturday...wonder if they knew College Gameday was going to be in Boise next week and how important that game is on the National Title picture.....my guess YES....
Back later this week...Enjoy friends...SKOCZ OUT!!!