Didn't think I'd have much to talk about today then CFB Live popped and gave me a few more ideas today.
The Hot List:
1. Memphis Scandal
2. CFB Live Top 5 Games of 2009
3. Regional Update
1. It's been a huge developing story...Memphis may have in fact committed major program violations by altering a player's SAT scores and transcripts. The player in question played only one season at Memphis from 2007-2008....Derrick Rose. If found guilty, Memphis will have to vacate their 38 win season and their final four appearance for having a ineligible player on their team. All I can say is are we surprised? How many violations that happen at top programs that go under the radar? Look at the problems USC is having right now with OJ Mayo and Reggie Bush. Clearly they did things under the table that were illegal by providing benefits to the players and to their families. It's disappointing to see John Calipari legacy get tarnished again as this is the second time he has come under fire as a head coach. He admits that he had no wrong doings in this matter but being a good head coach means that you have to be on top of all your player's eligibility. It doesn't surprise me to see Rose cheat his way into college just to get what he wanted....into the NBA. This is a big problem for the NCAA because how many other top recruits cheated on their SAT's, and change their grades just to get into college only to know that in a year they would be heading to the NBA. Either way this will end up being a huge deal for Memphis and the NCAA when it's all settled out.
2. I was watching College Football live and they had their top 5 games to watch for 2009. Here's what made the list.
1. Texas vs. Oklahoma (@ Dallas new Stadium)
2. Tennessee vs. Florida
3. USC vs. Ohio State
4. Alabama vs. Virginia Tech (@ Georgia Dome)
5. Georgia vs. Oklahoma State
I agree with some of these games but disagree with the top 2. I think that OSU and Georgia will be a great game to watch as OSU is clearly looking to boost its season by starting out with a big time opponent. Clearly this would be a bigger game if Moreno and Stafford were still there but this will be a challenge to see OSU's offense against the Georgia defense. Either way I think OSU wins this game. I also think Virginia Tech and Alabama will be a huge game as VT is clearly looking to assert itself into the upper half of the country and getting a nice W against Alabama would be a big start to their season. The expectations are high in Blacksburg, and I think that they get the W and will give Nebraska all they can handle later in the season. I don't think that Texas and Oklahoma or Tennessee Florida will be big games next season. I see why they are getting the attention because of Kiffin stirring the pot against Florida but honestly with the talent they have coming back on both sides of the ball Tennessee will get worked badly by the Gators. In the Big 12 it's Texas' season, and I think that giving the rivalry it will make for a compelling game but I still think that this is Texas' season and really nobody will be able to touch them...maybe OSU. Either way Oklahoma is a different team offensively without all their senior WR they had last season...should make for an interesting season to see how Bradford does without stellar talent around him.
3. Regional update:
4 games stand out at me while I finish this up as OSU is up 8-5 on Alabama, Kansas is down 10-2 to Coastal Carolina, Texas A&M is getting whooped 7-0 to Oregon State, and K-State is beating up on Xavier 12-0. Interesting to see OSU out hot, with their pitching they easily could win that regional against Clemson. I'll be keeping an eye on it and my picks.
Till Next week...Skocz out for the weekend.